Friday, March 30, 2012

Max Memory per SQL instance

Hi
I have a SQL 7 and SQL 2000 instance on one server with a
total of 2Gb of physical ram.
Currently all the physical ram is used up by both
instances causing SQL to run slowly.
My question is: Is the 2Gb ram limit a server limit or a
instance limit ie if I add an additional 2 Gb of ram will
each instance use a maximum of 2Gb each or will the
additional ram be a waste of time?
Thanks in advance.
DarylThanks for your reply. You have confirmed what I believe
is the case so I will proceed and add the additional
memory. For your reference the OS is Win Server 2000 and
the SQL 2000 instance is the standard edition.
Thanks again.
Daryl
>--Original Message--
>It depends on the OS and edition of sql server you have
as to how much ram
>they can access but yes, each instance should be able to
use 2GB.
>--
>Andrew J. Kelly
>SQL Server MVP
>
>"dazza" <darylg@.intergen.co.nz> wrote in message
>news:018001c35228$af340fa0$7d02280a@.phx.gbl...
>> Hi
>> I have a SQL 7 and SQL 2000 instance on one server with
a
>> total of 2Gb of physical ram.
>> Currently all the physical ram is used up by both
>> instances causing SQL to run slowly.
>> My question is: Is the 2Gb ram limit a server limit or a
>> instance limit ie if I add an additional 2 Gb of ram
will
>> each instance use a maximum of 2Gb each or will the
>> additional ram be a waste of time?
>> Thanks in advance.
>> Daryl
>
>.
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment